This hearty soup is infused with a kick! Perfect for cold nights or for those who like chilli in everything! Really simple, really easy to make and tastes fantastic! Serves quite a few, too! (Maybe 4-6)
1 white onion, diced
Handful of cherry tomatoes, halved
1 bell pepper, sliced
Handful of cauliflower florets
Handful of broccoli florets
A good handful of potato, peeled and cut into chunks
2 leeks, thickly sliced
2 carrots, sliced
2 celery sticks, sliced
2 whole chillis
Couple of bulbs of garlic, chopped
A good helping of coarse black pepper
Pinch of turmeric
Pinch of cayenne pepper, depending how hot you like your soup!
Pinch of paprika
1 bay leaf
Enough good quality chicken or veg stock to cover the vegetables, maybe 1.5 litres
1. Wash, chop, cut, slice or otherwise prepare all the veg
2. Put all the veg into a slowcooker, or crock pot
3. Pour over the hot stock, until the vegetables are covered
4. Season with
salt & pepper, add the spices and the bay leaf
5. Cook on medium - high for around 6 hours, or until the vegetables are cooked to your liking - try not to remove the lid, albeit very tempting!
6. Remove the bay leaf and serve into warm bowls with some fresh crusty bread!
- You can basically put any vegetable you like in this soup. This is just an example! You could try sugar snap peas, celeriac, sweet potato, squash, cabbage, spring onion etc.
- I hate salt, so you might have noticed that I didn't include it in the ingredients - there's enough salt in the stock ;) However, feel free to season the soup at any stage you like!